Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Last night at work, I ended up with a pinched nerve on the left side of my neck. It started out as just uncomfortable and progressed to the "I must swivel my upper torso to look at things" level of discomfort. By the time I got home, it was painful, but I figured that I'd just go sleep and let it do whatever it was going to do. I stopped to speak with Mom who'd had a doctor's appointment earlier in the day for a pain in her hip. I was glad that she'd finally gone to get it checked out, and I was just going to settle in for the night when she noticed that I was favoring the neck pain. Well, there goes Mom to the rescue. She offered to rub my back, my neck - all the maternal fussing that can make you cringe because you're an adult now, aren't you? You don't need Mommy to take care of you...

After a few mins I told her it was ok, and even tried to fake out with a "Look! I can move!" behavior. She stopped, but then noticed that I was still having limited motion and she accused me of lying, you're not ok, it's still bothering you! LoL. So she rubbed again and this time, I just submitted. Let my head rest against her and let Mommy try to make it all better. I teared up some: it was nice to have her try to help, she always does so much and is not appreciated for it. It was also the first time in four months that anyone's touched me. I switched out the light so that she couldn't see my tears welling up, and said goodnight. I cried in my room for a little while and then went to bed.

No comments: