Thursday, December 6, 2007

There's the cliche of "Can't Buy Me Love". I'm pulled in two directons regarding finances. On the immediate path, I'm poor. I've got a paycheck to paycheck existence with all the lottery-winner daydreams to boot and no prospects. I've got the basics, yet someone always has more than me...from the house, car, clothes, to the electronic gadgets to die of envy from. It's been instilled in me by my family that saving is the need, although I didn't heed such a common sense message when I was younger. I did eventually start to save part of my income, and even though almost all the members of my immediate family have a headstart on me in the financial goal, I have to realize that I have enough. I won't be wealthy, I won't have leeway to go on a spending spree...but I'll be comfortable? If I can figure out what exactly comfortable is, what to be content would be like. Just say that I have more than some who are less fortunate, some who don't have the ability to put anything aside for the proverbial rainy day.

I don't think about it all the time, but it had just occurred to me, why save if I don't get to enjoy something of it, when I can appreciate it. I totaled up the numbers and the bottom line was really a respectable amount that made me reflect on what's going on in the now. Why all the fear of the rainy day to come? Other people just jump in to sink and splash about - they get by and seem to have a higher sense of satisfaction in life. I don't think that I could become some sort of Franciscan monk and abandon all worthly possessions, but I can't help but wonder what's the point.

I know that flaunting a dollar symbol isn't going to make love come into my life. Sure, tossing the information in someone's face would satisfy some small smarting wound in my self esteem, but the thrill would fade. No positive results, no rewards worth getting.

No comments: